Friday, March 23, 2007

From Peru with Love Part 1 "Too Peru"


DISCLAIMER; This storyline is not a "blow by blow" account of the mission trip, but mereluy a recollection of the Peru trip with a sci-fi twist:)

I must admit, I was very excited and a bit fearful of our Peru Mission trip. Our team members are Rockers; Jodi Bonkoski, Adam Craven, Leon Dehnke, Nathan Howard, Emily Kurek, Justin Kremer, Kelsey Murray, Andrea Norgren, Alyssa Perry, Ben Robison, Dan Rollins, Ann and Seth Rosenzweig, and our team leader Marc Holtey.

Our flight left the Minneapolis airport around 10am Saturday March 10th. Even though Ben Robison (Soon to be the Time Controller) and myself, are time agents, the Time Agency wanted us to take a break and enjoy serving and vacationing in Lima, Cusco, and Machu Pichu, Peru!

The flight went smoothly and we landed in Altanta for the layover. I was contacted by Kat (a former Rocker) and we were hopeing to connect in the Atlanta, Georgia airport, but unfortunately time was against us, and our flight was ready sooner that we expected. I let Kat know that I would be in touch with her thru "MySpace".

As we landed at the Lima, Peru airport, we were greeted by many of the families and Pastor Carlos Gomez and Pastor Arturo. We took a bus over to the house and it was packed with our luggage and many of the latinos.

It was 1am in the morning as we split into two groups. I went with Seth, and Adam to Pastor Arturo's house. The neighborhood looked like it was hit by a bomb? But it seemed so warm and welcoming. After a good night's sleep it was time for breakfast at the other house at 8am in the morning. I was not used to eating this early:(

On the way over I noticed many stray dogs, and a few cats.

I also hear my a name a few times, but I passed that off as jet lag.

Breakfast was delicious! I love having eggs in the morning. We hit the ground running with projects to help replace the roof of a home directly behind and help run VBS, lead by Miguel!

I was not used to eating so much. Even though the meals were spread through out the day of Breakfast at 8am, Lunch at 1pm and Dinner at either 6:30pm, 8pm or 9pm, I noticed that I don't eat the scheduled. Sometimes I actually miss a meal during the day:(

The familes were awesome and the neighborhood was great. Pastor Carlos Gomez was awesome at organizing everything and Pastor Arturo was awesome and instrumental in keeping us safe! Alex and Daniel were awesome translators and not only kept us safe but taught us alot about the area! Silvia, Esteban, Jose (jr), Fannie, and the other kids were awesome to play with and they warmed our hearts. Miguel was incredibly awesome with the kids! His leading of worship and VBS was excellent! Israel is an awesome servant of the church and the familes. Adam and Israel will probably be lifetime friends!

Currently I am at home on a Friday reflecting on all that transpired, and slowly unpacking since I was so tired during the week. I noticed something very odd! One of my suitcases has the indentations on a human form?

Next Time! From Peru with Love! Part 2 "Memorable Moments"
Peace!

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home